Traveling with the Doctor changes lives. History has shown us the many natures of such a change: lives that open to a new awareness and sense of purpose in a larger universe; lives that are reminded of the value and comforts of home; lives that end abruptly, or even tragically. As viewers, we may identify with certain companions over the seasons, and when the time comes that they leave the program, we might react positively or negatively to the way in which that departure is written.
This week, joined by Mike Solko of the TimeScoop podcast, we walk the list of modern Doctor Who companions, and discuss how fitting (or unfitting) their exit from the program suited the character. We agree on a few (Donna), disagree pretty emphatically on others (River), but as it happens so often on GPR, we gain a broader perspective of the impact these characters have on the audience, and how much the show has really come to mean to us all.
BONUS: We go around the room, and choose how we would want to leave the TARDIS, if we were companions ourselves. (Ah, fandom.)
- The Loss of Deborah Watling
- BritBox and Fans Helping Save Lost Episodes
- The Doctor’s Daughter Gets Her Own Audio Adventures
- Moffat On the Doctor’s “Name”, For the Record
- TOPPS Collectibles Create a Limited Card Marking the 13th Doctor’s Casting
- Capaldi Honors His Cast and Crew at SDCC
- [SPOILER ALERT] The First Trailer for “Twice Upon a Time” Christmas Special